Labels

Friday, August 10, 2012

Aliyah Burke chats with us about a writer's life


Colleen: Hi, Aliyah thanks for stopping by! Let’s get started, first tell us why do you write?

Aliyah: Thank you for having me here today, Colleen, I'm honored. I write because I can't not do so. The characters talk in my head all the time and putting their words down on paper is the only way to make them happy. I love creating a story which will hopefully bring joy to those reading it, take them away from the everyday and give them a moment or two of escape. Let's face it, real life isn't always mai tais and fun, so to be able to create a place where worries don't follow them and they know they will have a HEA (which is the one thing in my stories I will always have), it makes me happy.

Colleen: Where/when do you like to write? Do you write everyday?

Aliyah: I write almost everywhere. If I am out of the house, I always carry a notebook just in case I see/hear something which gives me a story idea. In the house I work mostly in my office, but I do occasionally write outside as well, also in the living room, I'll write during breaks in sports. Yes, I do write every day. Writing is my career not a hobby for me, so I have my schedule and I do what's necessary to stick to it.

Colleen: Plotter or pantser?

Aliyah: Definitely a pantser. I've outlined one book in my writing career and after all the hard work I put into that, the characters looked at me and laughed saying, "Yeah, so not gonna happen that way. It's like this…" That was my first and last attempt to try and control my characters. It's not my story to tell, it's theirs and I let them. I get to be on the adventure as well unsure of how things will all work out until the end. I don't have the ability to put it down to tell where a first kiss will be, that they'll be in bed together by page "x," or other specifics. I learn about them as we go and I will admit there are many times I try to get them to go in a direction but won't push it if they dig their feet in. Like I said before, it's their story and it doesn't ever seem to fit into a box where it could be predicted.

Colleen: Do you listen to music while you write? If so, who?

Aliyah: Love music. I have my iPod, which is almost always on, headphones or in a docking station. Who I listen to depends on a few things, the scene, the mood, etc. I mean, I can't listen to a Disney song if my hero/heroine is in the middle of a life or death fight, doesn't help me too much.  And yes, I do listen to Disney soundtracks. I listen to almost anything. My shuffle can take me from classical, to rock, to a soundtrack, to a running cadence for the military and much more in-between. To me, music is a way to express emotions and feelings you may not be able to verbalize and it helps me feel the scene, if that makes sense.

Colleen: Makes total sense. Do your stories require research? Do you travel or just go to the library/web to gather your information?

Aliyah: Yes, my stories require research. Even coming up with names can take a few hours for me. I do both, travel and look online. I also have a lot of research books in my office which I'll spread out on the floor and spend hours pouring over. I tend to get lost in doing research, which really isn't a bad thing, since I enjoy it, but it does keep my word count down for that day.

Colleen: What is your current story?

Aliyah: I'm working on a few, but for PIP I'm working on a themed story, which I hope to be released under the Titillating Treat line. That's all I can say about it right now.

Colleen: What do you have coming out next with Passion In Print Press?

Aliyah: I have a release coming out this month titled, Something Tangible. Part of the Summer Heat series line. This is the story of Brett Kingston and Lydia "LJ" Johnson. Here is a blurb: Brett Kingston is an acquirer, of signatures, giving ownership of properties to Midas Development, his father's company. Never has anyone distracted him from the heartless business of sealing the deal, until during a final test he meets LJ, a woman who refuses to sell to him, no matter the offer. Agreeing to an insane pact for a mere shot at securing his contract, Brett discovers there is more to life than what he's known. Lydia "LJ" Johnson learns not only is there more than meets the eye when it comes to the rich wheeler and dealer, but anything can happen.

There is a connected story to this one, which deals with Brett's older half-brother, Asa Kingston, which will be out the same time titled, Unexpected Consequences, written by Tessa Berkley.

Colleen: I have already had the pleasure of reading both Something Tangible and Unexpected Consequences. They go together quite nicely and are fun reads. A nice escape from the doldrums of life! What groups or social media networks can readers frequently find you posting and chatting in?

Aliyah: I'm in a few places.

Thank you so much for having me here. I had a lot of fun!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great interview. I can't wait to read the new one Aliyah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Aliyah,

    It's always so nice to read the workings of a great author's mind. Thanks for the mention and thank you too Colleen for enjoying the companion book to Something Tangible. It was quite an honor to write a bit in tangent with the one and only Aliyah Burke who I admire.

    Tessa Berkley

    ReplyDelete